Well why not start where I call home, La Ciotat in the south of France...... where I found my future husband to be, where I have sailed in and out of for the last 8 years and where our beautiful daughter was born.
La Ciotat has grown on me in the last few years, a place to call home in the South of France. Situated on the coast and surrounded by the glorious vineyards of Cassis and Bandol, where endless vines shape the landscape. A quick hour and 15 minutes to the glorious Aix en Provence it truly is a delightful little place to be based. Notably, its close enough to the infamous star studded bustle of the Cote d'Azur but far enough not to feel immersed in the endless crowds. This little department of the Bouches du Rhone is any travellers delight.
So Im going to give you my must dos whilst you are here for a visit.... in no particular order may I add.
* The hike from La Ciotat to Cassis - is probably one of the most glorious walks to be done in the South of France. It takes 4 and half hours but the views are sensational and lunch at the other side is very well worth it:)
* A visit to Cassis, Bandol and St.Cyr sur Mer.
* Aix en Provence, to explore the glorious Paris of the South.
* Take the ferry over to Ile Verte - its all of about 5 mins and have lunch.
* Visit the magnificent Eden Theatre, where the first moving pictures were screened.
* Walk through the Calanque de Figerolles.
* Have lunch in Place Sadi Carnot and be immersed in the amazing French way of life.
* Explore the medieval village Le Castellet and book a table at Le Pied de Nez (one of all time favorite restaurants).
* As for La Ciotat, enjoy the small town hustle and bustle. The delightful shops that illustrate local artists and designers. Have lunch and dinner at one of the many restaurants along the port and finish by walking along the promenade that stretches nearly 3 km.
Its funny you can travel all over the world and just forget what is really at your own back door.....I have being wanting to write my first travel story for a while but have being debating internally, what was best to start with and how to go about it. So with the sun streaming through my window in November a cup of verveine tisane by my side, what better place to start with then right here, in sunny La Ciotat!